November 30, 2024

Canvas Instructure Icons

A design innovation that I discovered while developing learning content at MDS is the advanced use of Canvas Instructure Icons

Previously, my usage of the Canvas icons had been by using them as HTML icons, meaning they were unsizeable and this limited their usefulness.

Through the use of the InstructureIcons font, I dveloeloped ways to make the Instructure icon set appear resizeable. This is useful in situations where the content needs to be duplicated across Canvas subjects and user access to images is difficult to manage.

I developed an innovative system for inserting the icons into Canvas. I indexed 361 character codes from the InstructureIcons font, then I developed a TextBlaze snippet to locate and identify corresponding characters to enable insertion into Canvas within an appropriate HTML structure.

The resized icons which use this new method were utilised most effectively in the DCD subject Canvas guide

Canvas content reproduced with permission from Melbourne Dental School