October 31, 2024

DCD Endodontics Specialisation

I collaborated closely with Endodontics specialisation academics and the Senior Learning & Teaching Team to develop the Canvas offerring for the Endodontics specialisation for the Melbourne Dental School's Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (DCD) program.

  • 3 Endodontics dentistry subjects;
    • First year (DENT90087)
    • Second year (DENT90088)
    • Third year (DENT90089)

  • 24 Assessments of various types, including: 
    • Viva voce exams
    • Logbok of patient cases
    • Written exams, 
    • Seminar participation
    • Clinical Demonstrator Feedback
    • Clinic and seminar attendance requirements
    • Emergency service provision

Innovations

School staffing meant that for several DCD specialisations, no academic SME was available to collaborate on developing the assessment components of Canvas subjects.

To make the task easier for incoming and backfilling SMEs, I developed assessments using generative AI tools. By inputting assessment details and learning outcomes from the university handbook, I was able to guide the AI to produce step by step instructions advising students how to complete each assessment.

In a similar way, I developed marking rubrics which align each assessment criteria to the learning outcomes to ensure compliance with university procedures.

A big shout out to Leigh. I just got your approach officially endorsed by leadership. They were thankful for the effort, follow up, and documentation (evidence trail).
This is 100% supported and endorsed. Go for it!

MDS Redesign Manager
28 October 2024

your use of ChatGPT for drafting assessment designs, accompanied by thorough documentation and an evidence trail, highlights your ability to work with ambiguous material and push through when not supplied with what is required to get the job done.

MDS Redesign Manager
10 December 2024

Canvas content reproduced with permission from Melbourne Dental School