November 19, 2024

DCD Special Needs Dentistry specialisation

I collaborated closely with Special Needs Dentistry specialisation academics and the Senior Learning & Teaching Team to develop the Canvas offerring for the Special Needs Dentistry specialisation for the Melbourne Dental School's Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (DCD) program.

  • 1 Special Needs Dentistry subject;
    • First year (DENT90105)

  • 15 Assessments of various types, including: 
    • Essay assignments
    • Written exams, 
    • Oral examinations (Viva voces)
    • Portfolio
You are doing great work Leigh getting engagement with the DCD team – we know how incredibly hard this can be.

MDS Academic Lead for Assessment and Evaluation
19 September 2024

Innovations

Programmatic assessment - This specialisation proposed a new assessment type which consolidated several former assessments into one new Portfolio assessment. I worked with the academic on developing the best portfolio format sourcing examples from across the dental school.

I developed a detailed assessment rubric for how the programmatic assessment should be marked.

I'll have a look through these [Portfolio] suggestions. Thanks for sharing them. Thanks again for your help.

Senior Lecturer, Special Needs Dentistry
18 November 2024

These assignment look great. I think these are probably where they need to be.

Senior Lecturer, Special Needs Dentistry
29 October 2024

Canvas content reproduced with permission from Melbourne Dental School