April 8, 2025

Programming for Cybersecurity

In developing Melbourne Online’s Programming for Cyber Security subject, I played a pivotal role that extended beyond the standard Learning Designer remit. With the Senior Learning Designer position unfilled during the project’s early stages, I provided strategic direction by drawing on my subject-matter experience and my background as a Senior Learning Designer managing complex digital learning projects.

A key achievement was shaping a distinctive active learning pedagogy for programming, centred on interactive code exploration. I contributed to the design of the embedded Python learning environment and built PyInterp, a prototype interpreter that demonstrated how guided, hands-on experimentation could support conceptual understanding. This approach drew on design principles I had previously developed for Swinburne Online’s  COS30043 Interface Design and Development.

I also introduced an important innovation: a structured system encouraging students to use PyCharm as their Integrated Development Environment (IDE). This included clear guidance for setting up a full-featured IDE and embedding consistent “Practice: Try it yourself” prompts within activities. Students were directed to download activity files, work within their IDE’s directory structure, and follow setup instructions provided in the learning resources—strengthening authentic programming workflows.

Working closely with academic and Melbourne Online stakeholders, I helped transform incomplete and generic draft materials into rigorous, cybersecurity-focused content through iterative feedback and redevelopment.

Morning Leigh, thank you for stepping into a workshop this week with Laura in the absence of our new Senior.
Thank you for taking the lead on Programming for Cyber Security until we get a Senior to off load it onto.

MO Head of Learning Design
March 26, 2025

Leigh has also actively participated in content mapping workshops and Canvas workshops alongside the APM and SLD. His expertise has proven to be invaluable in these meetings, and he works exceptionally well with academics, helping to translate technical concepts into practical applications for subject design

MO Head of Learning Design
July 22, 2025

I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge ... Leigh – for your coding skills and standing in for a Senior we didn’t quite have.

MO Head of Learning Design
April 9, 2025

Thank you for the wonderful work you've done on our early subjects, in particular your innovative approach to the Python coding work in Programming for Cyber Security.

MO Chief Executive Officer
December 2025

You have done amazing stuff in the shell with the python code.

MO Academic Product Manager
April 8, 2025

honestly, I’m not sure how we would have built the Programming for Cyber Security subject without you

MO Head of Learning Design
July 22, 2025